Friday, June 13, 2008

IS FASHION A HEALTH ISSUE?

    Some of my 2-3 readers may have noticed that occasionally in this blog, I make comments about fashion.   I have never been afraid to stray into controversy, which is why I can simultaneously say that "I care about fashion," and "people should wear Crocs."   Basically, I think that fashion has its time and place.   I think it's fun, and it's worth paying attention to: but not if it's destroying your health.   When I see patients with bunions, heel spurs, corns and calluses, and chronic foot pain, and they're wearing Jimmy Choo heels, I say: "I'm sorry, but you're going to have to quit fashion."   But when fashion is not causing you physical pain, I think it's both fun and at least somewhat important.   In fact, it may even be "healthy."
      Why is fashion, at least potentially, healthy?   Because, simply stated, it can make you feel good!   You see, health is not simply about avoiding illness and staying out of the hospital.  It's about feeling good, feeling alive, feeling "vital."   Some people absolutely don't need any sort of fashion to achieve this- but if you live in a city or any location in which you interact with lots of people, fashion might be a ticket to feeling a bit better about yourself.   It's also an opportunity to be creative and unique.   And contrary to what the New York big-name designers would like you to believe, fashion is neither an elitist nor an expensive endeavor: many of the most fashionable people cut their own hair, buy their clothes at Goodwill, and wear fake jewelry.     You see, fashion is like interior decorating: you can pay someone lots of money to do it for you, and it will probably look good, or you can be thrifty and creative, and make it look good yourself.   It's really up to you.
      So how do you bring fashion into your life?   Here's a hint: don't ask your doctor.   Most doctors know as much about fashion as winos know about sobriety.   Instead, just pay attention to people in your life who have a bit more "flair" in their clothing or hair.   Ask them for some tips.   Check out what people are wearing, or buying, in a hip thrift store.    Most of all, don't be shy- and certainly, don't be cautious.   Try wearing something that you would never dream of wearing.    And if all else fails: ask a gay guy to give you some fashion advice.  I have no idea why, but gay men often have a unique eye for good clothing and good makeup (provided that they are not gay men from Denver!)
      I know, fashion may not be at the top of your list of things that you want your doctor to talk about.    But I'm not your doctor.   I'm Doctor Tofuhead, and I don't want you to simply feel good.  I want you to look good.  

No comments: