Saturday, May 10, 2008

MOTHER'S DAY: TIME TO GARDEN

    As Nurse's Week comes to a close, Mother's Day is just beginning.   If you're a nurse and a mother, you're pretty much kicking 110% ass right now.   If EVERYONE isn't giving you flowers, you better start slapping people.
    In Denver, Mother's Day is also the day you can be assured with 95% certainty that you are beyond the last of the killing frosts; the bane of early spring gardeners.  That means: it's time to plant!
    People in NYC, SF, and other large cities often assume that because they don't have a yard, they can't garden.   Nothing could be farther from the truth.   You can grow almost any vegetable in a container- which means that your porch, your front steps, even your windowsill can be a source of fresh, home-grown food.  And if you think vegetables are easy to grow, you should try growing cooking herbs.  There is nothing like cooking a dish using fresh herbs you have grown yourself!
    My college buddies were the ones who taught me that gardening and healthy eating were inextricably linked- I hope I can convince my (handful of) readers of that.   Today's blog is dedicated to them!   I'm signing off to give some TLC to my baby tomato and eggplant seedlings...

No comments: