Thursday, May 8, 2008

IT'S TV WEEK: AMAZON WANTS YOU TO SIT ON YOUR ASS

I was just kindly notified by Amazon.com that it's "TV Week." That means DVDs of all the most popular serial TV shows, which are rarely worth watching more than once, are now on sale at cut-rate prices. The timing seems atrocious. After all, it's Spring: the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the days are long. There are bike rides to be taken and gardening chores to do. Why would anyone want to be sitting on their ass indoors watching a recording of a sitcom or TV drama? Everyone know what they should be doing this time of year: sitting on their ass indoors watching the NBA Playoffs!
But seriously: none of us should really be watching anything. We should be out doing things. I'd love to be out playing basketball, but I only have one move, the "fade-away airball." But I don't let that stop me from getting some calories burned. I mean, do I really need to stay off my bike so I can watch the "Orlando Magic?"
If you are somewhat addicted to watching playoff basketball, like I am, try this exercise:
1. Look at the physiques of the players- preferably the ones that are NOT from Europe, where apparently razor blades are not in common use.
2. Then strip down to your underwear, and look at YOUR physique in a full-length mirror. Don't pull your underwear up over your gut- be honest with yourself.
3. If you notice a large discrepancy, it's time to turn off the TV and go get more exercise.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until the NBA season is over and you are on your way to looking like LeBron James (or Serena Williams if you are a woman).

No comments: